How To Upgrade From Halogen To LED Lighting
Many people decide to change their lighting, whether it be at home or in the office, at some point during their lives. LED lighting has become increasingly popular over recent times, with many choosing to change from halogen to LED. Many individuals choose to upgrade their lighting systems and there are three main options available when it comes to upgrading from halogen lighting to LED lighting. The options will of course depend on the type of downlights and halogen lamps you currently have.
1. You can choose to replace low voltage halogen lighting that has a low voltage transformer to led lighting. The simplest way to do this is to replace them with 10W LEDs. These are reasonably priced and will operate off the transformers that you already have.
If you wish to be able to dim your lighting, you will require transformers that are able to do this. If you do not check this, they may need to be changed at a later date, which can cause more work in the long run. This can of course increase the overall price. An LED compatible dimmer switch will need to be installed to achieve your desire of dimming lights.
2. If you make the decision to replace low voltage halogen lighting, but wish to keep your existing downlights, they can be converted into mains voltage GU10 by ordering some lamp holders and LEDs. A qualified electrician can carry out is process for you.
3. The third, and sometimes the most preferred option, is to install complete new downlights. A whole new world of opportunities can be opened up with this option, as you can make the ultimate decisions about style and location of your lighting. GU10 downlights can be installed, or integrated LED downlights. Integrated LEDs have built in and non replaceable LED. Even though GU10s are much less expensive and replaceable, they are not as effective in terms of the light output, or life expectancy.
Latest posts by James (see all)
- Customer Case Study – From Darkness To Light - 18 May 2018
- Customer Case Study – LED Downlights on a Fire Surround - 26 February 2018
- Ultimate Guide To Dimmer Switches In 2017 - 29 June 2017